Thursday, June 15, 2006

Soon to be employed!

Well, it looks like I've got a job! I've accepted a position at Pequannock Township High School and though I haven't signed any papers yet it looks like the rest is going to be easy.

In my job search I sent out more than 40 applications (many unsolicited) and interviewed at about 10 schools. I had a total of six job offers by the end. The vast majority of the people I met were great.

The process was really pretty miserable. It felt kind of like going to the shelter to adopt a pet. How can you pick??

But, in the end, I think it has turned out really well. I'm really impressed with the administration and faculty at Pequannock. They are really interested in doing the best for the students, they were serious about good teaching, and they were willing to put their money where their mouths were. Big time.

For the time being we imagine staying in Mendham while I commute to Pequannock. It's only about 35 minutes away, and most of the time the commute will be pretty easy by Northern New Jersey standards. So I guess I will hang onto my commuting barge despite the drawbacks so that I can enjoy the peaceful woodgrain atmosphere with an audiobook when I am not worrying about lessons or tests.

Grey is doing very well. Her folks are here for a few days and we are having a nice visit. Today we went to Fosterfields, a local farm run by the county as it was in 1880. They have piglets and cows and sheep and horses and chickens and more pigs. It's big fun for grownups and of course we are scoping out places to take children. You should come visit us with your children and we'll all go look at piglets.

2 comments:

Ally said...

That's absolutely fantastic news! And I would like to book a piglet trip please, actual time to be confirmed at a later date :).

Does this mean you now might be visiting this summer? Or is it too late to arrange now?

Chris said...

Thanks! Come see piglets anytime.

Alas, we are too pregnant to fly to England now. We'll come back with a screaming bundle instead, slightly later...