Friday, November 30, 2007

Metacognition and armored bears

The nice thing about a blog post, I guess, is that friends and family can ignore it easily without hurting the originator's feelings, unlike an interjection around the dinner table or even an email in the inbox. This may be a candidate. But at the moment I am going to test the idea that when I feel like blogging I should blog.

A have a break in my routine this morning because I am going to a workshop at Rutgers instead of teaching at high school. I got up early and finished my grading early so I have been reading.

Let me link to two articles that might be really interesting to parents and teachers.

From an online journal called Cognitive Daily: What's the best way to praise a child? Be specific.

From Scientific American: The secret to raising smart kids

And now for something completely different, a link to another article I enjoyed reading this morning.

The Atlantic Monthly on the movie adaptation of His Dark Materials: How Hollywood saved God

If you enjoyed Philip Pullman's books you will enjoy this article. And mmmaybe the movie too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris - you are back!
Always enjoy your and Grey's blog musings whether meta or not. Great to see Peter's progress and thanks for the links. Have enjoyed reading the Pullman trilogy but am not sure whether to see the movie.


L., Suz.

Ally said...

I was slightly freaked out by the Pullman novels - I read them in a weekend and really only thought about what he was trying to say afterwards :).