Sunday, August 19, 2007

talking with hands


I've been teaching Peter a little sign language. I started around 6-months when he started pointing and being inquisitive about the world around him. Somewhere along the line he started repeating signs to me -- but only in a monkey-see-monkey-do sort of way. There were a few times between 9 and 10 months that I thought he might know that what he was doing was actually a word. On his 10-month birthday, I knew for sure. After breakfast he threw a tantrum and I asked him what he wanted. He signed "more eat." I gave him more breakfast and all was right with the world. Pretty damn cool!

The boy is pretty much an eating machine. He's had Indian, Ethiopian, Turkish, Japanese, Mexican, etc. He'll try anything. If he doesn't like it, he'll usually take it out and look at it and try it again. Very game child. I'm expecting a growth spurt anytime now. He shot up to almost 20 lbs by 4-months-old, and now at 10-months-old, he's not yet 22 lbs. He's got 6 teeth now. The bottom 2 came back in April. The top 4 came last month. He's biting, unfortunately.

Oh, about our NC trip. I need to mention that Chris and I slid down this waterfall. Very scary!


We also rode ATVs. I only almost tipped mine over once.

0 comments: