Thursday, July 27, 2006

in the meantime

This is a picture of our larger cat. She has a problem. She is no longer interested in any form of interaction except playing with the bootlace my mom gave her. We used to sit together, rub heads, have a relationship. Now she doesn't want anything but string. If I offer her any form of attention, she runs away and stands by her string and gives me a look like this one. As if to say, "if you are interested in spending time with me, I want string."


Here is a picture of the back of the house which we hope will soon be ours.


It's hot and boring in Mendham tonight and G plans to blow off her breastfeeding class. We are discussing the relative merits of a trip to Aunt Pat's pool or the local movie theater. Not sure if there is anything worth watching. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Ally said...

I feel your cat-rejection issues. I have been 'sent to Coventry' by Betty, because we shut the bedroom door last night as a shrew repulsion measure. And then B stood on her tail.

My suggestion is Aunt Pat's pool.

Chris said...

We went to the pool. It was great. There were a million birds and we saw a small deer with its mom.

I wonder where 'sent to Coventry' comes from? I hope your cat doesn't hold grudges any longer than the traditional cat interval, i.e. until the next meal.

Kate said...

Prepare yourself to be unimpressed.

"Sent to Coventry" comes from either (and I quote):
"the citizens of Coventry once had so great a dislike of soldiers that a woman seen speaking to one was instantly tabooed; hence when a soldier was sent to Coventy he was cut off from all social intercourse."

Mmm. How fascinating.

Alternatively, it was because in the Civil War, Royalist prisoners captured in Birmingham were sent to a stronghold in Coventry.

It's probably a lot more fun to make up a derivation than read the real one.