Sunday, December 24, 2006

my other baby

I’ve always wanted to learn to play the accordion. So, I’m just home from the hospital taking care of the baby and I think, “Perfect! I’m home with all this time on my hands and no one but baby Peter to annoy.” So, I call my friend Andrew Krystopolski and ask him to teach me.

I met Andrew when he brilliantly created music for a play I directed called Silent Lives. Andrew is a polka enthusiast. Andrew is so Polish he has a pierogi hanging from his rear-view mirror. Andrew studied accordion at the Acme Accordion School. (I’m not making this up.) Andrew is just the person to teach me accordion. He says yes.

Problem: You don’t really have any time on your hands when you are home taking care of the baby. I consider it a good day when I’ve found time to brush my teeth! Also, you can’t hold the baby and the accordion at the same time.

So, it is going very slowly. I’m playing scales and exercises from a book from “Ernest Deffner, Inc.” Chris notes that it is no coincidence that my accordion book came from someone named Deffner. Sigh. But I am learning a song from my favorite new band The Decemberists. Their accordion player is also a chick.

I was warned that mockery never stops when you play the accordion. Already the baby cries when I take the instrument from its case. Last week, the cat even started eating my sheet music.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Well, my Aunty Daphne plays the accordion. She is less than five feet tall with a beard; and she is 86 and gigs at various old folks homes in her area during the year.

When her accordion was stolen from her car a couple of years ago, the local churches clubbed together and bought her a new one. Accordion players are for the Good not the Bad. Will you bring it when you visit? :).

Chris said...

We'll bring the accordion if you bring Aunt Daphne!

My brother told us about a guy he knows in New York city who was trying to find a home for his used accordion. He tried to sell it on ebay and craigslist, and he tried to give it away to a charity but no one would take it. In desperation, he left it in the back seat of his car with the windows rolled down while he had a couple beers around the corner, figuring for sure someone would steal it. When he came back to the car a few hours later, there were three more accordions in the back seat.