Saturday, May 06, 2006

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

UK and US paperbacks of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, published 5th September 2005I think this is my favorite book ever.

G and I were reading it together back in ought-four but I started school before we finished. I thought about it for a year until I finally bought the audiobook version off audible, for my commute back and forth to Rutgers. It livened up a semester spent on mostly unexciting classes.

This is the best money I ever spent online. And on a DRM'd proprietary format no less. It simultaneously gave my iPod a reason for existing too.

The reader was great and every minute of the 32 hours was a pleasure. I think I have finally figured out how to be an adult student and still read a book once in a while.

If anyone knows where I can get a copy of Thomas Lanchester's Treatise concerning the Language of Birds please let me know.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Loved it too. Read it in the traditional fashion and considered it also to be a form of exercise as it was very big and a good for strengthening the arms. I suspect not every student who wants to fit in reading a novel picks one that is 782 pages long. I think it counts as at least 2 books.

Ally said...

I haven't read it, but you are the third person I know who has recommended it. I will see if I can find a copy and read it before June :)

Chris said...

We tried to read it in bed at first but I have an unfortunate habit of falling asleep while reading. After the first such incident we decided not to risk a broken nose again.

Be warned Ally! Use while upright only.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought about reading it too then a departing Pole departed before I'd had a chance to ponce her copy off her.

Doh.

Nice site Chris!

You can never have too many cat photos and I think knowing who's the blog is when you're replying can add to the fun.

:-)

b