Wednesday, November 01, 2006

high school halloween

Here's a picture of me, in 6th period, discoursing learnedly on Newton's 3rd law. A student snapped this with his camera phone.



Yesterday was Halloween and G loaned me her old punk jacket and dressed me up out of the 80s. I found an old Billy Bragg concert T from a million years ago. The kids got a kick out of it and it was fun for me too. I even snuck in a lesson: punk bands took over the world because they said anybody could make music, you didn't have to be an expert or a genius. I told them science was the same way: sure, you need experts a geniuses but anybody could do it and enjoy it and get something out of it if they try.

I've had the hardest time making them think and evaluate for themselves -- most of the time they just want to give up an answer and be left alone. But yesterday in my punk persona I got a rise out of them with a problem about Newton. "Are you just gonna believe what the establishment says is true, or are you gonna figure it out for yourselves? Do you trust the man even though his laws contradict your common sense? Well?"

It worked good. We had some fun.

It's 4:30am and I am working on a lesson about universal gravitation. The boy is down here in the basement with me this morning because he was fussing all night and G needs a little sleep before I abandon her for the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I let Caroline fall asleep in the car at 5 pm yesterday. She was up at midnight and Rob took the 12-4 shift, and now I am on the 4 til the end of my life shift. We may never sleep at normal hours again.

Nice costume.

Chris said...

The wee hours are a great time to watch your friends' blogs at least. Sorry you are up too, but it's comforting to know that we're not going through anything unique! Soon enough they will be away at college I suppose.

Kate said...

I appreciate you are a very busy man, but it's been a week now and I'm much happier looking at pictures of your cute babe rather than the scary punk thing you've got going on in this one! Get blogging.

Ally said...

Yeah, what Kate said! :).