Monday, July 23, 2007

the end of another era

I'm selling my BMW. Not, I hasten to add, because I think owning a 4L V8 is environmentally irresponsible. A certain amount of irrational exuberance is all that makes the human condition bearable.

I was never really a giant-BMW kind of guy anyway, or at least I never thought I was, but I admired its massive competence and tank-like construction. I loved the black-leather-and-fake-walnut interior experience and the science-fiction way you can go as fast as you want without noise, rattles, and a feeling of imminent crashing death.

On the highway it was never happy going less than 80, and the back seats are not kid-seat friendly. So our Cadillac sedan will be my new commuter and family car. It's a good car, more comfortable if not more responsive, and for motoring thrills at least it's got a big ol' American 4.8L V8.

I will hang on to my BMW CCA membership because they run a great autocross. Me and Dad and my uncle and Peter went yesterday. I was going to drive the mini but the mini's ignition crapped out so I was driving the family Omni racecar. We had a lot of fun. Peter loved the noise and the crowds.

I spent half the time standing in the sun, picking up cones that people knocked down, and the other half of the time in the Omni knocking down cones. It was great.

This morning we are leaving on our camping trip. The van is loaded to the gunwales, but I am still thinking of things we need to bring. Watch this space for updates, or if you have the technology, my facebook page. It's easier to update that from the mobile phone.

0 comments: